Brief History of The First Presbyterian Church of Greenfield, Tennessee
The Presbyterian Church is located at exactly the same location of the first Church in the community that is now the City of Greenfield. In 1837, a group of residents built a small log cabin and used it for a Church, school, and community center. It was called The Church Of Ebenezer.
In 1868, three years after the War Between The States, Mr. Joseph Henry Ward gave the Ebenezer Church one acre of land. On this property, a larger building of hand-hewn boards with a cypress timber roof was erected. Most of the labor and materials were donated by the men of the Church. Chairman of the building committee was A.J. Barton, son-in-law of Mr. Ward.
In 1870, the Ebenezer Church joined Hopewell Presbytery of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. It would still be another 10 years before any other churches were organized in Greenfield; thus, the community continued to gather here for worship.
By 1897, the Church had grown so large that the old frame building was dismantled and a two-story brick building was erected on the same site.
In 1912, the church dissolved its relationship with the Cumberland Presbyterian Church and joined the West Tennessee Presbytery of the Presbyterian Church U.S.A.
On a Sunday morning in February, 1917 the brick building and all its contents and records were destroyed by fire. By the Spring of 1918 construction on the present building had begun. The first service was held in the new Sanctuary on the 5th Sunday in February, 1920. The present building, with its impressive stained-glass windows and exceptional architectural design, was dedicated on June 24, 1923. In 1924 the Wicks pipe organ was installed. Since that time, the building has been well-maintained and many improvements have been made.